A quiche can be served as a main course, for breakfast, or as a tea-time snack. Instead of tuna, you can also use peeled small prawns or diced salmon. For those who are on a diet, you can leave out the sour cream; replace the 7 eggs with 4 egg yolks and 8 egg whites; and leave out the cheese. You can also make mini-quiches by lining muffin tins with the pastry dough or do a crustless quiche by not using the dough at all – just arrange the vegetables in a greased cake tin and pour the beaten egg over. Bake and serve sliced.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
TO MAKE SHORT CRUST PASTRY
320 g plain flour
5 g salt
160 g unsalted butter, chilled, and chopped
2 egg yolks
40 g chilled water
1 egg yolk, beaten (for brushing)
200 g leeks, trimmed, halved, washed, and sliced
2 cans tuna, drained, and flaked
1 onion, diced
7 medium eggs
4 g salt
Freshly ground black pepper
100 g sour cream
80 g grated Tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°Add to my Shopping List C.
- Line an 18 cm tart tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Put flour, salt and butter in a mixing bowl. Rub the butter and flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in egg yolks and chilled water. Combine together very lightly until dough just comes together.
- Dust the table top with flour and turn out the dough on it.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1cm thickness and cut a large round of pastry, slightly larger than the tart tin.
- Line the tin using the pastry, pressing in well and pricking the base. Trim any overhanging pastry and chill for 10 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with non-stick baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- Bake in the oven on a baking sheet for 15 minutes until golden at the edges. Remove the non-stick baking paper and beans at this point. Brush the base with the beaten egg yolk.
- Arrange leeks, tuna and diced onion on the base of the baked pastry.
- Beat eggs, salt, pepper and sour cream in a jug.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables and tuna.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 180°C for 30 minutes or until just set.