I think it is now the right time to start preparing everyone for Chinese New Year!! You may already have noticed supermarkets and shops stocking up on mass-produced cookies that taste like unbaked dough, smell like cardboard and are dry and brittle!! I will start of the series of Chinese New Year goodies recipes with cookies favoured by kids. The M & M cookies are also one of my favourites – I think they look cool with all those yummy small, round and colourful milk chocolate covered confectionary studded on them. These cookies make very good gifts for families if packed attractively!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 10 g X 100 cookies
220 g salted butter, room temperature
230 g caster sugar
120 g eggs (2 large eggs)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
380 g Top flour (available in all supermarkets)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
100 g M & M candies
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Cream the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Stop when it becomes creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together.
- Add to creamed mixture and combine well.
- Stir in half of M & Ms and ensure they are evenly distributed.
- Using a teaspoon, drop small amounts of the mixture onto cookie sheets lined with non-stick baking paper and decorate with the remaining M & Ms. Alternatively, you can also roll the mixture into small 10 g balls.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.