Appam is a favourite of many people. The rich coconut milk in the appam is so ideal to be paired with a spicy curry. Here is a kitchen tested recipe for appam…….you will never go wrong if you watch the video and follow this recipe here! Watch the IGTV on making of Coconut Appam and Pepper Prawns
COCONUT APPAM WITH YEAST
15 g sugar
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
200 g lukewarm water
100 g cooked rice, room temperature
80 g grated coconut
400 g jasmine rice grains, washed and soaked for 5 hours
200 g water
10 g salt
30 g sugar
130 g coconut milk or water to dilute batter
- Place sugar and yeast in a cup or bowl.
- Add water, stir lightly and leave aside for 5 -10 minutes or until you see froth on it.
- Place cooked rice, grated coconut and the above into a blender and blend till smooth. Ensure that the blender does not become hot.
- Pour into a deep bowl.
- Drain the rice and place into the blender. Add 200 g water and salt and blend till smooth.
- Pour into the bowl with the ground coconut and rice batter.
- Use hand or whisk and beat the batter lightly.
- Cover and leave aside for 7-8 hours or until double in volume.
- Just before making the appams, stir in sugar and coconut milk.
- Heat am appam pan (appam wok) and grease lightly.
- Pour a ladle full of prepared batter into the centre of the pan.
- Hold the pan and twirl it around so that the batter spreads all the way to about 1cm below the edge of the pan.
- Cover and let the appam cook for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown at the edges, on medium heat.
- Lift the appam and transfer to a plate and serve immediately.