Semolina Fish aka Suji Fish aka Rawa Fish is a typical Goanese style of fried fish. I learnt how to prepare fish using semolina in 1989 when I made my first trip to Goa. Since, then it is one of my favourite ways to prepare fish or prawns. I also came across fish prepared with semolina in some parts of Karnataka. The coating of the fish in semolina results in a very crispy coating and a succulent, flaky, delicious fish inside.
You can use any type of fish fillets or fish with less bones. If the fillets are very thin, you may have to coat them with beaten egg and then roll in the semolina before frying them.
What about trying this recipe and serving the fish with a lemon wedge and some home-baked fries? 😉
2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 level teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lime juice
4 X salmon steaks or fillets
120 g fine semolina
Few tablespoons of cooking oil for shallow frying
- Place the first five ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Marinate the salmon steaks in the above mixture for 15 minutes. Do not marinate longer than this please.
- Heat oil for shallow frying.
- Coat the marinated fish steaks with semolina.
- Pan fry till fish becomes golden brown and crispy.