I used to like baby squids when I was young. These days I only eat crispy fried squid rings and that too only if I prepare them. Here is an awesome recipe for a spicy treat of squids. Do not overcook the squids as it may result in an overly rubbery texture!
50 g tamarind mixed with 100 ml water and strained
40 g ginger
40 g garlic cloves
5 blanched almonds
5 g turmeric powder
5 g cumin powder
5 g coriander powder
20 g Kashmiri chilli powder
50 ml cooking oil
5 g white gram
5 g fennel seeds, lightly crushed
3 g fenugreek seeds
130 g finely sliced onions
2 sprigs curry leaves
7 g salt
1000 g squids, cleaned, washed, and cut into rings
- Put tamarind water, ginger, garlic cloves and almonds into a blender and blend till smooth. Pour into a bowl.
- Add in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chilli powder and mix to a paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil and fry white gram until golden brown.
- Add in the fennel seeds and fenugreek and fry till aromatic.
- Add in the onion slices and the curry leaves. Sauté till the onion turn golden brown.
- Add in the prepared masala from Step 2. Sauté over low heat till oil separates.
- Add in the squids and the salt. Stir to mix well and cook covered, stirring occasionally till the squids are cooked.