This heavenly cake is irresistible, firstly because of its zesty aroma and secondly because of the texture. It is simply different from the other cakes that you are used to eating. Polenta is very healthy compared to just plain flour! You can also make the cake replacing the lemons with oranges.
𝗟𝗘𝗠𝗢𝗡 𝗣𝗢𝗟𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗔 𝗖𝗔𝗞𝗘
1 large lemon, seeded and diced
150 g caster sugar
350 ml water
200g slightly salted butter, room temperature
180 g caster sugar
50 g sour cream or natural yoghurt
2 large eggs
180 g self-raising flour
180 g polenta grits
TO MAKE SYRUP
140 ml lemon juice
170 ml water
170 g sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
1. Place diced lemon, sugar and water in a pan and simmer for about 15 minutes over medium heat until the lemon looks translucent. In case the water evaporates too much, sprinkle a bit more water each time. It should not be watery by the time you finish cooking. Let it cool thoroughly.
2. Preheat oven to 170°C.
3. Grease and flour a 20 cm cake tin. Shake off any excess flour. It is alright to line the tin with non-stick baking paper too.
4. Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
5. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Fold in the sour cream and the cooked lemons and combine well.
7. Fold in the flour gently, followed by the polenta grits.
8. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
9. In the meanwhile, place all the syrup ingredients into a small saucepan and boil till the sugar has dissolved.
10. Cool the cake for about 20 minutes. Using a fork or a skewer, poke all over the cake and drizzle the syrup over it. Poking holes all over the cake helps it to absorb the flavour of the lemon syrup.
11. The cake can be served warm with ice cream or just on its own.
#chefdevagisanmugam #spicequeensingapore #bananaleaftemptations #polentacake #lemons #lemonpolentacake #polentacake #lemoncake #cakebaking #homebaking #drizzlecakes #homemadecakes #sweettreats #chefslife #cookingclass #sgcafes #sgchefs #sgfood #sgcakes