These energy bars are a perfect healthy and handy treat not only for children, but for adults too. Forget the store-bought types; why not simply make your own? These can be stored for a couple of months in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also wrap them individually. They make good desserts too. Instead of dried apricots, you can also use other dried fruits like dates, raisins, or peaches; or a mix of all them. Instead of cashew nuts, use toasted almonds.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
250 g dried apricots
80 g crystalized ginger
200 g toasted sunflower seeds
130 g toasted cashew nuts
70 g softened butter
50 g honey
40 g desiccated coconut
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place all the above ingredients in a bowl. Combine well.
- Using a food processor or a chopper, chop the ingredients until almost fine.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick paper.
- Place the chopped ingredients onto the baking tray. It should be a sticky mess!
- Using your fingers or a broad spatula, press the chopped ingredients and spread it evenly on the tray.
- Cover with cling wrap and chill it for about 3 hours.
- Cut it into bars and serve.
- Alternatively, you can roll the mixture into little balls and leave to chill and harden in the fridge.