I feel that desserts must look attractive, easy to do and relished by all. This semolina payasam fits the bill perfectly. You can even prepare it one or two days ahead and keep it refrigerated. On the day of serving, just dilute it with milk (it will thicken when refrigerated). You can use other ingredients like whole kernel corn, chopped jackfruit, scraped meat of young coconut, and so on. What about serving hot semolina kheer with a sprinkle of chocolate chips………..I can imagine the chocolate melting into the kheer and making it yummy!!
3 tablespoons ghee
80 g cashew nuts, halved lengthwise
40 g raisins
100 g semolina
1500 g full cream milk or low fat milk
120 g sugar
3/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (optional)
Sweet pomegranate seeds or chopped fresh mangoes for serving
- Heat the ghee in a pan and fry the cashew nuts till golden brown.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the raisins to the pan and fry it till it puffs up. Transfer the fried raisins to the same bowl as the cashew nuts.
- With the remaining ghee in the pan, fry the semolina over low heat till it turns a shade darker and is aromatic. Transfer to another bowl.
- Bring the milk to a boil over medium heat and add in the semolina, stirring as you add in until all have been used up.
- Let the semolina boil until it is cooked (it will become soft) and then add in the sugar, cardamom powder and condensed milk. Carry on boiling till the sugar dissolves
- Remove from heat. Serve either cold or warm. Sprinkle with fried cashew nuts, raisins and fruits.