Panettone cake is very easy to make. You don’t need to use yeast and there is no fermentation involved. It is rich and would taste better the following day. You can toast and butter it before serving to make it taste even better than it already is!!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
5 X 55 g eggs
280 g light brown sugar
380 g self-raising flour
5 g ground allspice or cinnamon
Zest of one lemon
380 g glazed citron peels, chopped
120 g black raisins, soaked in 2 tablespoons rum or orange juice for 40 minutes
250 g butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Fold in the flour, followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Place the mixture either in two Panettone moulds (6×4½-inch), a loaf tin or a deep round baking tin, lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. The top of the cake should be golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar if desired.
Note: To store the panettone cake, wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Then either place in a re-sealable plastic bag, or wrap in foil. It will keep at room temperature for up to 1 week.