I love the magical combination of Earl Grey tea and dried apricots! I have always preferred to use dried apricots than fresh apricots when it comes to baking. I like the intense flavour and taste I get from soaking them in tea or water. This Apricot Slice is perfect for an afternoon tea.
𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝘽𝘼𝙎𝙀
220 g salted butter
60 g icing sugar
280 g plain flour, sifted
𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙏𝙊𝙋𝙋𝙄𝙉𝙂
250 g dried apricots
200 ml strong Earl Grey tea
200 g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
grated zest of 2 lemons
120 ml lemon juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
60 g plain flour
20cm X 30cm X 3.5cm slice tray
1. Place apricots and tea in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook till apricots become soft and liquid has evaporated. Let it cool and chop it up coarsely.
2. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm X 3.5cm slice tray.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg.
4. Fold in sifted flour. Press into the base of the prepared tin.
5. Bake 180° C for 15 minutes.
6. To prepare the topping beat together the sugar, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Fold in baking powder and flour.
7. When the base is baked sprinkle the chopped cooked apricots evenly and pour the lemon egg mixture over the top.
8. Bake for a further 25 minutes or until surface is golden brown.
9. Allow to cool completely before cutting.