You can use any kind of topping for this pizza. The prepared and rolled out dough at the end of Step 8 can be stored in zip-lock bags and kept frozen. Bacon is optional. You can use other meats.
TO MAKE THE PIZZA BASE
1 sachet instant yeast
10 g caster sugar
380 g water
10 g salt
40 g extra virgin olive oil
600 g bread flour
- Put the first 3 ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar and yeast. Keep the mixture aside for 10 minutes or until you see a bit of froth on the surface.
- Add the salt and oil in. Combine well.
- Add the flour and combine evenly to make a slightly thick dough.
- Knead the dough, adding a dusting of flour from time to time to reduce the stickiness of the dough as you work it with your hands.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and put it on a floured work surface and punch knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is silky and smooth textured.
- Coat the dough with a thin layer of olive oil and leave it in a greased bowl. Cover with cling wrap and keep aside for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Press the dough and flatten to release the air that is inside.
- Roll the dough into a thick circle. Prick with a fork at random.
TO MAKE THE BACON AND EGG PIZZA
2 prepared pizza bases
4 large eggs
80 g onion, finely chopped
60 g milk
5 g salt
40 g melted butter
80 g cooked bacon, pastrami or turkey ham, cut into 1 cm strips
300 g tomatoes, seeded and diced into 0.75 cm pieces
50 g chopped spring onions
200 g Mozzarella cheese, grated
100 g Romano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Beat eggs, milk, onion and salt until well combined.
- Heat butter and pour in the prepared eggs. Cook, stirring occasional, until the egg mixture is set but still moist. Keep aside in a bowl.
- Place pizza base on a pizza pan. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the prepared egg mixture on it.
- Arrange the bacon pieces and sprinkle the chopped tomatoes, a tablespoon of spring onion and then a portion of the mozzarella cheese and the Romano cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the topping browns slightly and becomes bubbly.
- Serve hot preferably.