So this week, Chef Audra Morrice and I did this awesome Rava Thosai. For you information, you can make about 8 Rava Thosais and a chutney within 1 hour……even if you don’t cook often! It is that easy. Watch the video.
𝗥𝗔𝗩𝗔 𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗦𝗔𝗜 (Semolina thosai)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 cm ginger, finely chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves, shredded
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
120 g fine semolina
150 g rice flour
60 g wholemeal flour (atta flour)
8 g salt
550 ml water, plus more
40 g fine semolina
Gingelly Oil of other cooking oil for frying thosai
1. FOR TEMPERING, in a small pan, heat oil and fry the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and peppercorns till aromatic.
2. Add in chopped onion, chillies, ginger, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
3. Sauté for a minute or less until aromatic.
4. Leave above aside to cool down.
5. Place 120 g semolina, rice flour, wholemeal flour and salt into mixing bowl.
6. Add water and make into a thin batter.
7. Add in the tempered ingredients and stir to combine well.
8. Keep above aside for 15 minutes.
9. Just before making the thosai, stir in the remaining 40 g semolina and adjust water for a pouring consistency.
10. Heat a thosai pan and grease lightly with Indian sesame oil (gingelly oil).
11. Pour two ladlesful of batter from a height so that it forms a pancake with small holes. Do not spread the batter. Just pour it thinly here and there.
12. Drizzle some Indian sesame oil and let it cook for couple of minutes or till it turn golden. Flip over and cook for a minute.
13. Remove and serve.