Masala Vadai also known as Paruppu Vadai is eaten as a savoury snack and sometimes as a side for breakfast. A good cup of strong tea with milk is the best pairing for Masala Vadai. It is not difficult to make Masala Vadai. Follow the recipe below and watch Chef Audra Morrice and I making it in this episode of IGTV. Do feel free to send me a message if you encounter any problem or if you want to learn something.
300 g Bengal gram (channa dhal), soaked for 5 hours and drained
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cm ginger, finely minced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 green chillies, cut lengthwise and cut into thin slices
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely pounded
1 level teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
oil for deep frying
1. Blend the soaked Bengal gram coarsely, 𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙫𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙤𝙣𝙚-𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙙 𝙬𝙝𝙤𝙡𝙚. About half cup water can be used to facilitate blending.
2. If water is used, place the ground Bengal gram in a muslin cloth and lightly squeeze out the water.
3. Place the ground Bengal gram and all the rest of the ingredients except the oil into a mixing bowl.
4. Mix well.
5. Heat oil for deep frying. Take portions of the prepared mixture and shape into flat patties about 4-5 cm in diameter.
6. Deep fry till golden brown and drain on absorbent paper.