I felt like making and eating pancakes today because I tasted real bad pancakes at a café yesterday!! It is not normal for me to order pancakes when I am out at a café but then it was one of those days when the menu tempted me to. Do you like pancakes that are fluffy on the inside? Do you like them lightly crisp and golden brown on the outside? I have the perfect recipe for you. What’s more, you can also add other ingredients like chopped fruits, chocolate chips, and nuts to the batter. In this recipe, I have decided to add sweet corn. Sweet corn is high in fibre and adds a nice crunch to the pancake. Grease the pan with cooking oil or butter and you will really love your pancakes.
300 g self-raising flour
4 g salt
40 g caster sugar
150 g freshly grated coconut
260 g sweet corn kernels (stripped from the cob or drained from a can)
2 egg yolks
200 g water + 150 g coconut cream (or you can use milk)
30 g melted butter or cooking oil
Butter or cooking oil for greasing pan
1. Place the sifted flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and coconut milk until well combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the coconut milk mixture.
3. Start stirring to make a thick batter. Stir gently, just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Over-mixing leads to tough pancakes.
4. Add in the grated coconut and corn kernels and mix again.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Brush the base very lightly with melted butter or cooking oil.
6. Drop 3 tablespoons of the batter onto the pan, leaving a little room between each pancake. When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip the pancakes over and cook for another minute, or until golden brown.
7. Serve the warm pancakes with butter and honey or maple syrup. I combined a bit of honey with maple syrup.
#chefdevagisanmugam #bananaleaftemptations #spicequeensingapore #pancakes #sweetcornpancakes #pancaketime #brunchtime #sgpancakes #sgbreakfast #breakfast #maplesyrup #homecookingisthebest #sgcafe #pancakerecipe #sgfoodies #soeasytomake #homemade